Jersey Tomato T-shirts!
Longing for tasty tomatoes? Find out about tomato flavor, the Jersey tomato, the Ramapo tomato and more on our Jersey Tomato webpage.
"When we were kids my cousin the tomato
lover would yell, "salt for my 'mater!" and he would stand
with salt shaker in one hand, Jersey Tomato in the other and
chow down. He still loves tomatoes, so when we visit him in
the summertime, we come bearing gifts: Jersey Tomatoes".
- Cindy, Highland Park
the Jersey Fresh Information Exchange.
- What's in Season from the Garden State -
Legendary Jersey Tomatoes and the Role NJ Farmers Played in Selecting Winners
- To receive monthly What's in Season reports:
The newsletter season runs from spring to fall, but you can sign up any time of year.
New Jersey farmers grow some of the best
produce in the country. But these juicy tomatoes and peaches,
sweet corn and melons and plump blueberries don't always get
into the groceries and restaurants where you shop and eat.
People across the US are realizing the benefits of buying locally produced food. New Jersey has been on the forefront of this effort, developing the Jersey Fresh campaign in 1984. Initiated by the New Jersey Department of Agriculture, the movement has gained momentum as farmers, consumers, food distributors, chefs, etc. have joined the effort. At Rutgers NJAES we are working with these groups to enhance the farm to fork efforts in New Jersey.
- The Jersey Tomato is known for its classic flavor. But tomatoes these days don't meet people's expectations when it comes to flavor. We're working on bringing the flavor back.
- What's in Season from the Garden State is a monthly e-newsletter during the growing season that highlights the little known facts about the food coming from our farms and local waters.
- To help raise consumer awareness about
New Jersey produce and get it into new retail locations, Rutgers
NJAES Cooperative Extension piloted an innovative produce distribution
and merchandising project in 2004. Chefs at restaurants
in the Princeton and New Brunswick areas, several New Jersey distributors and grocery
chains, Wegmans and Shop Rite, agreed to carry produce
from our participating New Jersey growers.
The farmers were supported through
innovative marketing efforts - including this website..