Jersey Tomato T-shirts!
Longing for tasty tomatoes? Find out about tomato flavor, the Jersey tomato, the Ramapo tomato and more on our Jersey Tomato webpage.
"When we were kids my cousin the tomato
lover would yell, "salt for my 'mater!" and he would stand
with salt shaker in one hand, Jersey Tomato in the other and
chow down. He still loves tomatoes, so when we visit him in
the summertime, we come bearing gifts: Jersey Tomatoes".
- Cindy, Highland Park
What's in Season from the Garden State - a website that provides a behind-the-barns view of New Jersey agriculture and the role of the New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station.
- What's in Season from the Garden State -
Rutgers on your plate: 250th anniversary spotlights NJAES-developed foods
- To receive What's in Season reports: sign up for our email list.
- Read what's new, what's old, and what's fresh in back issues of What's in Season from the Garden State.
New Jersey farmers grow some of the best
produce in the country. But these juicy tomatoes and peaches,
sweet corn and melons and plump blueberries don't always get
into the groceries and restaurants where you shop and eat.
People across the US are realizing the benefits of buying locally produced food. New Jersey has been on the forefront of this effort, developing the Jersey Fresh campaign in 1984. Initiated by the New Jersey Department of Agriculture, the movement has gained momentum as farmers, consumers, food distributors, chefs, etc. have joined the effort. At Rutgers NJAES we are working with these groups to enhance the farm to fork efforts in New Jersey.
- The Jersey Tomato is known for its classic flavor. But tomatoes these days don't meet people's expectations when it comes to flavor. We're working on bringing the flavor back.
- What's in Season from the Garden State is an e-newsletter during the growing season that highlights the little known facts about the food coming from our farms and local waters.